Join the YAYA Team
YAYA Glass Studio Manager
YAYA seeks a creative and energetic manager and technician for the public access glass studio at the YAYA Arts Center in Central City, New Orleans. YAYA is a non-profit organization that seeks to empower creative young people through training in the arts and entrepreneurship, and the Arts Center serves as a hub for creative activities in our neighborhood and across the city. YAYA’s core program is the YAYA Guild, which provides intensive, multi-year after-school arts and professional training for teens. Other programs include after-school and weekend arts workshops for children ages 5-12 and their families; public workshops in schools and at local festivals and events; hosting field trips for students of all ages; public glass demos and open houses at the Arts Center; and fee-based classes in glass, ceramics, and mixed media that help support our free programs.
The glass studio serves several audiences: YAYA Guild Artists (teens), who work in the studio two evenings per week; professional glass artists who rent time in our studio; amateur and beginner artists who take glass and ceramics classes; and YAYA’s broader public audience through demos and other events. The Glass Studio Manager will be responsible for communicating with all of these audiences and ensuring that the studio is serving their needs.
The ideal candidate will be passionate about our mission to provide arts education to creative young people, as well as building the profile of the glass studio and bringing new audiences to YAYA. We are looking for someone who is equally excited about glass education, glassmaking, and managing and promoting the studio. The Glass Studio Manager should be self-starter who can independently manage studio activities, as well as collaborate closely with YAYA’s staff and Board of Directors on an overall strategic vision for the organization and its execution in the glass studio.
• Serve as the public face for YAYA Glass: act as primary liaison for renters, answer calls and emails about studio, interact with visitors, attend events on behalf of YAYA
• Oversee all activities in the glass studio, including managing studio calendar, scheduling and working with renters, designing and managing classes and demos, and working with YAYA’s youth artists
• Identify and establish earned income opportunities for the glass studio, including classes, production, commissions, etc., and work with YAYA staff to promote and market these opportunities
• Manage production of YAYA glass products and glass commissions
• Design and manage public demonstration program
• Manage studio inventory and purchase materials and tools as needed
• Maintenance of equipment during summer shutdown
• Collaborate with YAYA staff to ensure that glass studio activities promote YAYA’s mission and strategic goals
• Work with the Board Glass Committee on short- and long-term studio maintenance plans
• Work with Senior Director of Programs and YAYA Guild teachers to outline curriculum for teen program
• Work with the Executive Director to hire and manage contract employees for the glass studio, as needed, and to track studio budget
• Attend weekly staff meetings and monthly teaching artist meetings
Qualifications and Skills:
• BA or BFA with a concentration in glass or equivalent experience; MFA preferred
• Experience managing a glass studio
• Understanding of a range of glass making processes, including glassblowing, flame working, fusing, kiln casting, etc.
• Good written and oral communications skills; ability to interact with all of the audiences that YAYA serves
• Studio arts instruction and/or education programming experience
• Knowledge of basic Microsoft office software
• Ability to work as a part of a team while working independently on projects to meet multiple deadlines
The Glass Studio Manager is a 40-hour/week position, including some evening and weekend events. Salary is commensurate with experience. Benefits include health insurance, three weeks paid vacation, and blow time in the YAYA studio. YAYA is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.
To apply, please submit a cover letter, resume, images of past work, and a brief proposal for a glass class for youth or adults, to email@example.com. No calls, please.